Thursday, February 5, 2015

Local Style Jhol Momo Achar

Local Style Jhol Momo Achar




There were many days I remembered the jhol momo from Nepal. I tried making it few times as well but it never tasted the same. The sourness of those street momos was different. It wasn't quite lemon sour or lime sour. You know what I mean. I looked online several times for the recipe but could never find it. The ones that were posted were never like the local jhol. So when I went to Nepal few days back, I was determined to decode the recipe and my mission began.



I went to a momo pasal, ordered momo and it came with lots of jhol in jugs. I tasted the jhol spoon by spoon. Then I had to ask sauni - "What is in it ?", she was surprised that I even asked and she hesitated to answer. I kept looking at her and she finally replied - "Bhatmas, golveda, til". That's all she said. And then I was curious of sourness you know. I mean how come it tastes so good and I blurted it out - "Is this sourness from Tamarind ?". She said - "No, lapsi", And I wondered, how did they put lapsi and asked again. She said - "lapsiko dhulo". There, that was IT ! That was IT ! I got the secret ingredient so after talking to her for a while I got the basic idea how to make it. So here is the recipe. And feel free to modify it the way you want. Also I don't use measurements as we Nepali usually do not tend to use measurements.

Tip - Do not use a lot of tomatoes. Only two tomatoes will do. 


Ingredients:

1. Toasted soya nuts
2. Toasted Sesame seeds
3. Roasted Tomato or tomato sauce 
4. Lapsi powder
5. Timur
6. Some Cilantro


Method

1. Grind toasted sesame seed
2. Grind timur
3. Soak soya nuts in water for a day and remove the husk
4. Add all the ingredients in blender with water and blend it. I used Ninja blender which is quite powerful.
5. Keep adding water until it comes to the desired consistency. 
6. Chop cilantro into very small pieces and Voila ! Your street style jhol aachar is ready. As easy and simple as that.


Let me know how yours turn out or if you have any questions feel free to ask. 

15 comments:

  1. Oh gosh that looks ammmmazing! I love love love jhol momo achar and can't wait to make this recipe. Thank you for sharing Prixya. Just a quick question though - did u toast the soya nuts before soaking 'em?
    P.S your recipe story is great as well...it was fun to read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ayushma. :). I actually removed the hull by my hands after roasting them. It was just a handful of them. I did not have any patience. Hehe. But soaking them after toasting will make it easier to remove husk or you can do it the other way round. Soak, remove the hull and roast in a oven. We just need that roasted taste. Also it would be the best if you can find roasted soya nuts in grocery with hull already removed. That would be less work definitely. I just found the raw ones. Phew !

      Delete
  2. Dear Prixya, please share exact measurements ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rough idea..
      1. About 3/4 cup soya beans
      2. 1/2 cup or less sesame seed
      3. Two tomatoes or 2 small can sauce
      4. 4/5 stems of cilantro
      5. 1tsp Timur
      6. Two tbsp lapsi powder
      7. 2 big glasses of water

      Delete
  3. This looks so delicous! I am not much of a cook but when the holidays come around and I do cook I will defiantly keep this dish in mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure.. Sorry for the late reply but yes that would be a wonderful idea . ☺

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did u find the lapsi powder?

    ReplyDelete
  6. kathmandu ma ta boso ni halcha re ni ta but everest momo ko achar mitho 6 is that the same recipe

    ReplyDelete